Was just talking to Ben that day about the death of Mr. Crocodile Hunter. I was telling him how lucky I was that I didn't break my bones. You know how freaking near the puncture was near my knee cap? And he was telling me how lucky he felt that he didn't break his skull when he fell from the wall and suffered only a small cut on his head, albeit with a lot of bleeding. And then how Mr. Crocodile Hunter suay suay kena the barb go through his heart. Not the hands the leg the butt the shoulder but his heart. Was everything predestined?
During my Krabi trip I was exposed to alot of God and Christianity thing because of Jess. Last time I resented it. Not that I hate it and all but just that I won't wear the cross/buy anything related to it because I didn't believe in it. And then I realized I didn't mind it at all when Heng pasted some God sticker on my Tshirt. Not that I believe in it now though. But I just don't mind going to church and talking about it. Actually I was thinking maybe Buddha and God can co-exist? Can they? I don't know. Can someone believe in both?
And then I start asking all my friends. One question that always bothers me is why when someone kills other pple but if he/she is a Christian he/she can still go heaven. But when he/she kill himself/herself then he/she got to go to Hell. Doesn't make sense. Someone told me it's because when someone kills himself he doesn't have time to repent so he goes to hell. But what if it's like a slow poison that is without cure? If he tries to kill himself but he repents before he dies can he still go to heaven?
And then if God gave everyone life then why are some babies born disabled?
And what if the pregnant mum got a miscarriage. Will the fetus go to heaven or hell? Will it go to heaven if the mother is a Christian and go to hell if the mother isn't?
I can never find a satisfactory answer for those questions. Even the pastor said he wasn't sure of the suicide thing and that only God knows. But then there's like some messenger that God sends right? To talk to you or something. How come the messenger never told the pastor?
Wouldn't it be a wonderful if both Buddha and God exist then we can all go to Heaven and all reincarnate and have a second life?
Saturday, September 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Buddha and God can both co-exist. Because Buddhism is merely a way of life, and Buddha is a person, not a god.
I believe (and practise) the Buddhist teachings of compassion and karma, but I acknowledge that God exists. I don't necessarily subscribe to the Christian doctrine, but I know that there is a God.
To answer your question of "If there is a God, then why is the world so fucked up/or people born disabled".... there is no answer. perhaps it is only so that we may learn to appreciate our good fortune, and so that we may learn to be nice to those who are not so lucky, therefore spreading love around. (and this is also another Buddhist fundamental if I'm not wrong. So they CAN coexist.)
I'm glad you are starting to ask these questions, for I have lost hope in Singaporean girls. =)
do you mean we can have multiple religions?
Hmm...
"God has no religion" -- Mahatma Gandhi
Personally, my opinion is that the differences between various religions are perhaps essentially man-made...
The terms "Christian", "Buddhist" and "Free Thinker" are like labels on separate bottles, what matters more are the contents of these bottles...
To your question of why the world is in a mess and that there are so many problems around. The explanation that i can give is that when there is evil and bad, then good can then be recognized. If not, how then you know it is good and happiness if there is nothing to compared to. So, when one runs into problem or in a bad situation, and relies on God to help one to emerge out victorously then can one acknowledge that God is good and God is real. So, the world is created in a way that when there are problems and is messed up, God's goodness can then stand out and be recognized amidst all things.
I am not in a position to advise that, but I'm sure you can take all the good and applicable practices out of any faiths you like, and just practise them all.
For example, Christianity and Islam state that there are no other Gods but God/Allah (they are one and the same..... I guess?). So if you practice Buddhist/Hindu ways of life about knowing the self, etc.... you are still believing that there is one God, but living your life as you believe it to be good.
To evil me:
Do you mean that God created people unequal so that those who are in a less advantaged position would appreciate God?
EvIL ME to anonymous,
How do you classify people into less advantaged position or what basis are people classified to be unequal. Different level of the people in the society have their own problems and worries to struggle with. Does not mean that if A is born in a good family, have good education and future is blessed, A will not have any worries. A's problem may not be that significant to you (due to different background and experience). But to A, it might be the first going through such a situation. So, i feel that there is no distinction between less advantaged and advatnaged people. It is just a matter of choice of how and where do you want yourself to be at.
hmm...you can ask your christian friends if their churches or your local Uni CF runs a program called Alpha. It's a program which helps answer all these queries and thoughts. It's non-commital in nature and it seeks to answer questions. do keep asking questions. question your own existence. are you living for a cycle to repeat or are you living with a purpose?
Well, nobody really knows what happens after death. After all, Christianity does believe that all sins are equal and no one sin is bigger than the other. There is also no biblical stance on suicide. However, it is never God's will for a suicide to occur. To attribute suicide as a disturbance in the spiritual realm is a possibility in that what we humanly see will be mental dysfunctionality.
We will never really know why someone wants to commit suicide. But we can be sure of one thing, suicide is indicative of abnormality. God's will is never for us to commit suicide too.
Where does a dead fetus go? well, unless we are able to communicate to fetuses, we will never know. Generally speaking, a non-believing mother will pass on the same dis-belief to the "child". It's most unfortunate, but yes, most likely, that fetus will not be able to go to heaven.
that's all for now....do keep the questions coming
Does God create everyone equal? If he does then why are there people suffering in Africa due to starvation/illnesses?
Then there's this thing in Singapore I wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way is that there's rivalry between churches. Just like rivalry between schools. If ultimately they embrace the same religion (believe in God and so) then why do they say that their churches are better than others? It's as if they go to church because of a social identity that the church gives them and their friends in the church rather than the ultimate belief in god. If they go to church for the belief in God then why should there rivalry?
And then there's this contribute 10% of your earnings thing to the churches monthly thing right. Where do they go to? How much actually do pastors earn? Are they supposed to be low-profitable organizations? or do pastors earn as much as CEOs? why do even shuttle buses to churches cost money when people already pay so much every month?
And then what if you're someone who believes in some aspects of Christianity and some aspects of some other religion like Buddhism but not totally do you still effectively have a religion? Can you still call yourself a Christian/Buddhist if you believe in some but not all of its teachings?
And how about people who commit suicide because they're not in the right state of mind? Like they've got some mental illnesses and stuff and they don't know what they're doing and then they kill themselves? Will they still go to hell?
Hi manchi,
Let me try my best to answer your queries.
Why is there inequality in the world? Great question. If God created the world in harmony and balance, who screwed that up? I believe that for every action, it leads to a consequence or a cause and effect. God gave man free will to choose and for every choice or decision. The state the world is in today is a result of man's decisions. Our ozone is depleting and our climate is changing. We are that constant that changes our environment. To end all the suffering, we will have to give up our freedom of choice.
I would re-iterate that man is not perfect and in our local churches, we do have imperfect men in it everywhere. As humans, we have our social needs. The church hence becomes a place where social needs are met as well. Friends provide supports regardless of religion right? No man is an island.
Any reasons for "competition" between churches can be attributed to imaturity and human pride of their members. We do hear banal talk of who has the better church still. but i believe different churches cater to the different needs of the individual and its unfair to compare.
Giving 10% of your salary otherwise known as the practice of tithes is really a biblical standard or discipline. You do not need to feel compelled to give so much. It's stated in the bible as well that God loves a joyful giver. Some people even practice reverse-titheing. A process where you beging with 10% and you gradually increase the percentage of your tithes at your own timing.
Mega-churches,for e.g. cityharvest, are a new revolutionary development. They even have their financial statements on their website and remain accountable to their members through agms as well. It seems like their pastors are like CEOs and are paid like CEOs. But why not? If their responsibilty is going to be that big, their remuneration should be proportionate. Of course, such giving shld be agreed upon by all members as well. As of now, I understand Ps Kong of CHC is no longer a paid staff, he is a honourary volunteer and the church he built and founded.
It's going to be hard to believe in two different religions. One day, you will see the differences and it will lead to contradiction of choices. One will advocate a certain lifestyle while the other might promote something totally contrary. Do not be double minded or in two minds.
When people commit suicide and they are not in a right state of mind,obviously, they doing something that would want to do normally. if they are believers of Christ, I believe they will go to heaven. But if they are not, I am sorry, but they will not make it there.
My answers here are sorely inadequate,i hope it will answer you questions. but, really, thank you for asking.
right on. Buddha was just a person who lived and preached a way of life. I don't think he ever wanted to be worshipped as a god. God is true and alive. They're two separate and distinct issues.
When churches slam/criticize churches, remember that it's men who do the talking. Inevitably, we are human and we have our failings, including insecurity and we have our differences too. Don't ever make the mistake of judging our God by our actions. Cos we're all imperfect and we can never live up to His standards.
10% thing, that's tithing. It's a practice derived from the Hebrew scriptures. Not a modern man-made institution. How much pastors get paid I dunno but probably not much, and varies from church to church.
That's about all I have to say. Byebyee
do animals go to heaven too?
Haha so cute.
I've never actually heard anyone talk about animals and heaven, but only about animals in rebirth. Not the like the usualy way we think of "in your past life you must've been a pig/ox/piece of shit!" to put someone down, but rather just as a part of the Karmic cycle of Rebirth.
Post a Comment