Saturday, February 25, 2006

Piano

I just played on my piano non-stop for an hour.
My fingers hurt.
I've tried playing on it for 3 hours without stopping.
My fingers were stiff for 2 days.

I like playing the piano.
I love the sound it makes.
It's not like listening to some pre-recorded CD.
On my piano, I can adjust the pitch, the pace, the emotion.
I can make noise and I can make music.

Whenever I make new friends, I always ask them a question.
"Can you play any musical instruments?"

Standard reply goes like this..

"Yea I play the piano."

"Grade what?"

"I stopped at grade 6."

"Why did you stop?"

"You know lah. When you were young, your parents force you to go for swimming and music lessons..."

I wished my parents had forced me to go for piano lessons.

They thought my passion for piano was just a passing thing. Just like my ballet.

I remember that I had been asking them to send me for piano lessons ever since I was primary 1. They didn't until I was Sec 3. By then, my fingers were already stiff. Whenever I think about this I'll be quite upset. I think I would have made a talented pianist. And if my family was really really rich I would have probably gone to Vienna to do music instead of Econs and Business at SMU.

I still remember those days when I would search online for "free sheet music", go shopping for sheet music books and search the library at the Esplanade for pieces. I wish I could learn the electric guitar (I'm so influenced by Oasis) and the violin too.

Playing the piano gives me a peaceful feeling. Works better than Yoga or tranquilizers. I wonder if anyone feels the same way too.

No comments: