Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I feel so lost

Yesterday I was at Woodlands mrt when this Prudential Insurance guy came up to me and you know complete the usual survey form.

Usually I would have said I didn't have time but I was in quite a good mood so yup I stayed and talked to him for a while.

He asked me if I had the habit of saving and I told him I'd try to save if I can. Like 50 bucks a month? So he tried to recommend some savings plan to me and elaborated on my yields and gains and I lied to him that I had a savings plan. (Because I wasn't really interested in his savings plan)

Then he was like "oh how much you save in a month in that plan?"

I said "200." (the first number that came into my mind)

"but you just told me you save 50 a month?"

"ermm.. (gotta come up with an excuse) scholarship money"

"4 As for A level ah? Got S papers anot?"

I looked at him and smiled.

"so next time you'll wanna work for that XXX la?"

"who is that?"

"the XXX company one. you never hear before?"

"no?" then I left.

Then this morning I woke up and thought about it (I got a lag problem) and yea so what if you have your CCAs in school. So what if you are so involved in school activities. So what if the profs in your class like you. So what if you have a summa cum laude on your degree script. So what if you have leadership positions.

Everyone is involved in school activities to a certain extent. More than 1000 students get 4 As for A levels every year. And all the rich kids are those who manage to go overseas to study and knowing how Singapore companies love overseas degrees they'll probably get a better job than you. So what if you are this and you are that and you do this and you do that?

Seriously. Who do I know in Singapore besides Lee Kuan Yew and Nathan? Who do I know overseas besides Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Who do I know in Hongkong besides Li Ka Shing and Jackie Chan? You have any idea whos the CEOs of EDB (that i used to know but I forgot). You know who contributed the most to Spring Singapore? You know the latest government intiative to XXX? You know who XYZ is?

And the thing is that. I can't be bothered to find out. I am not interested in the economy as a whole (and I'm going to get an Economics Degree) and I am not interested in politics.

I just wanna graduate get a job that I like earn lots of money enjoy life let my parents enjoy life and then get married have kids and retire then spend the rest of my days with my old husband.

Naive and very simple minded.

I'm worried for my own future. I think I have a reason to be.

I knew what I was saying when I was writing this post but now when I look at it then it's incoherent already. But I don't really care.

I guess my question is.

At the end of the day, what is it that you really have to do to get your dream job your dream pay and your dream life you wanna lead?

I think it's really something beyond your grades beyond your leadership positions beyond your contributions beyond your contacts beyond your general knowledge beyond politics beyond the economy. Or is it the so-called luck or destiny?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, munchie, there's one word for it.

Faith.

I mean, surely you're studying what you're studying for a reason. And studying so that it'll make you stinkingly rich is probably not a very good reason to study that.

My subject allows me to be ALMOST NOTHING in Singapore...i mean come on. coming back with a magister but...apart from teaching and for very small niches in the media, i am practically useless.

So why did i decide to study German?

I think i agreed to study it because i like the subject. (I may die doing literature however.) but i'll take the chance. the MOE scholarship was a matter of convenience...i am secretly hoping to move to media after my bond.

No doors are closed. Good luck dear.

guojun

manchi said...

you see.. if i wanted to do something i really wanted to do and not for the money i would have gone to do music/drama/botanics or something like that. but i think i gotta be practical? like end up doing finance and things like that. I mean I like the subject but ultimately I just dunno what I wanna be and I don't know how to succeed in what I wanna be. oh well... Yes faith. thank you =)

Anonymous said...

i think you have been talking too much to the old man in your attachment company already :-P

here is my two cents worth...

the so-called luck or destiny has to be accompanied by necessary hardwork in order for you to be able to "succeed" in life...
and you have to constantly be aware of your dream pay, dream job, dream life, and etc. and constantly work towards it even though the goals and dreams are likely to evolve and change over the years...
only when you achieve your target goals and objectives, will you feel that you have achieved success... its called self-actualisation...
there really is no point becoming a billionare if your ultimate dream is to be a social-worker, and neither would you feel that you have succeeded in life... get the drift?
as much of a cliche... life is more of a journey and process rather than the end itself...
sometimes, it is good to slow down, enjoy the journey, and truly live life...

manchi said...

kiean!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... i wonder what kiean is?
how is "kiean" a response to the paragraphs of wisdom I have just shared with you?

manchi said...

KK is the old man in my workplace!