You know life was so simple when I was in primary school. Eat and sleep and go to school. And save up to buy erasers. I hardly had any savings but I didn't really care.
Then when you go to secondary school. You see the newspapers talking about 15 year old boys or girls who jump off buildings because of BGR/poor results/scolded by parents.... and most of them never survive.
And when I got to JC, these things start to happen to people I know. Started to get quite scary.
Finally I got to Uni, but things just get worse. Other than suicides, people I've heard of/seen before/know who they are personally die because of accidents/cancers and stuff like that.
This reminds me of a guy colleague called KK back in my intern company. You heard of the saying "live everyday as if it's your last." But that's quite impossible. I mean, if I were to live life everyday as if it's my last, I'll probably spend all my money doing things I love to do, I'll totally ignore all my commitments and just spend time with my family and the ones I love. If I were to live every day like that, I'll burn out all my cash, all my work will pile up and things just don't work that way.
You see so many people working so hard just to get the things they want. Save and save and save to buy a condo, save and save to buy a car, then save and save and save to upgrade to terrace and to a better car, then save and save to buy dunno what and what if one day one of those people cross a busy road and get knocked down and just die like that? Wouldn't he/she have saved up in vain?
I guess it's important to strike a balance between living everyday as if it's your last and save up (not just in terms of money) but work hard and strive for better things in life. Just to cite another example, what if you quarelled with one of your very good friends and you decide to apologize to her tomorrow but before you are able to do that you're dead? You would say "then apologize immediately" but you wouldn't wanna do that because of the no face/ego factor. But then if you knew you were going to die then you probably would have apologize and fixed things with her anyway. So how do you actually strike that balance when you don't know what's going to happen the next moment?
Don't you find this scary? Or maybe I'm just thinking too much.
Monday, August 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
uh oh... the old man got to you huh... hahaha
I guess that there is really no right answer to that question you just posed...
hmmm... let me put it this way...
as you get older...
-things get more complicated
-you have more responsibilities
-you get busier
-you neglect things that you know are important but not urgent
-you get confused about things/people that are really important to you at times (whether they are really that important...)
-you get jaded at times after going through prolonged bad patches and setbacks...
but life is not that bad and complicated... in fact it can be quite good...
think of it this way...
if your life is made up of 10 steps....
look at how and where you want your last step to be and constantly "move" towards that direction using your steps 1 to 9... and along the way, your step 10 may have changed... but its no big deal, cos you can immediately alter your remaining steps towards your new direction...
so no matter how busy you are... always take time out to contemplate about life... how things are going for you at that moment... spend some quiet time alone... get in touch with yourself.. and I'm sure you'll be happy in life...
I guess that is why they say life is a journey....
I don't think "live every day as if it's your last" means to go out and blow all your money, and basically "doeverythingyouwannadobeforeyoudie." I think it could go along the lines of - live each day to it's maximum potential, and live it without regret, for you might not wake up tomorrow. I think the most important thing is to be at peace with yourself before you go to sleep at night, and not think "shit i could've done this" or "shit i should've done that". Ya know? Like "shit I shouldn't have been so mean to that person" or "shit I should've told my parents I love them." that kinda stuff.
As long as you're at peace with yourself, and the world, etc., it wouldnt be so bad if you didnt' wake up. (beside the fact that the rest of the world would mourn your loss, but we're talking about YOU here, not the rest of the world.)
Post a Comment