Thursday, June 29, 2006

Those were the days with 10 cents Soyabean

Back in 1996, when I was this innocent sweet petite adorable little girl dressed in an Orbiang grey pinafore back in Shuqun Primary School...

I remember my break was 20 mins. But I could go off 5 mins earlier coz I had prefect duty to do. And those days the ties were stick-ons haha so stupid. Then the girl's will play hopscotch (is that how you spell it?) or play five stones. Seriously, who plays THAT? I'll always play catching and basketball with the boys + some other tom boys. And I'll always get bruises and scars and kena scolding from my mum. The only "girl" game I played was like zero-point. That was fun. Anyway the primary school kids didn't really know how to pronounce "point".

"you wan to play zero boint?"

And the music lessons. Everyone's blowing their own recorders. Like a few notes for the whole session. So Stupid. Sometimes I get the triangle thing. Or the thing you put through your fingers then you push them and there'll be this "snap snap" sound. I did enjoy the lessons then. Better than Chinese lessons. And the subsequent Chinese writing homework.

Anw that's not the point of this entry. The point is. I remembered those days my Soyabean was only 10 cents. My soya chicken drumlet rice was only 30 cents. If you add another wing it was only 50 cents. Fishball mee was 40 cents. And the ice stick was 10 cents. And even outside of my primary school, at the market near my place (that was in Jurong), soyabean costs 40 cents. Chup Cai Beng (veggie rice) was like 1.80? Cheng Teng was 50 cents.

10 years later.

A freaking small serving of Cheng Teng (takeaway) is 1.20. Chup Cai Beng is at least 2 dollars (literally got Veggie only that kind.) And where do you find 10 cents soyabean?

Seriously, what has gone cheaper over the years?

At least Mr. Softee is still $1.20.

Even Goreng Pisang has become more expensive. Luckily I don't eat that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i not sure if only i think this way, but this post is really crappy. So many words just to convey across the idea that inflation sucks. HAHAHA.. you siao zha bor