Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Knock some sense into me

Though I shouldn't be blogging at this hour coz I should be working on my adjustments for different financial year end figures for Activision and Take 2, I just had to.

Talked to Jiamin last night and Changqi just some time ago. They gave me pretty good advice. Sometimes friends see you in a clearer position than you ever can do it for yourself. But most people prefer to keep their judgements to themselves. Fear of wrong judgement or they just didn't wanna be meddlesome or they can't be bothered. Especially when the comments are negative. I'm glad that they have the courage to bring it up to me. I'm glad that they did what they did too because they care and they know me well enough to know that I will take feedback in a positive manner.

I can't deny that it hurts a little. I mean who likes to receive negative feedback? According to social psychology (there I go again), everyone likes to enhance his or her self image and maintain a high self esteem or ego. Though I still have a pretty big ego but it's kinda sad to think of yourself as a less perfect person that you hope to be. or that you thought you were.

Yes and I realize I should be less selfish when working on group projects. I should try to accomodate to everyone's working style. Not just mine. And I certainly won't want my friends to think that I'm not doing work just because my working style is damn last minute. JIT system. It never occured to me that it would be a problem. I thought what mattered the most is that I get things done at the end of the day, before the deadline or whatever. But I figured if I did that I'll probably be misunderstood (which nobody likes to be for obvious reasons) and that I'll bring inconvenience to all my other group members. Slowing their progress and all.

Was on the phone with Ian. He said that that's why he didn't like working with close friends. It'll hurt more if you get misunderstood by your close friends rather than just acquaintances. Or get into heated arguments. I'm glad things aren't bad yet. And that I have good friends to point some things out to me. And yes I will try to work on my stuff earlier I promise.

I know I'm really loh soh but many thanks.

For being so truthful and frank.

If I do get distracted or potentially misunderstood again, you know what to do. =)

No comments: